Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Effective Communication

My second day at blogging.. and I am already out of words ;-)
Its not that there aint any thoughts that I would like to convey, but rather that I think I dont have much of the highly desirable ability to communicate my thoughts in an effective and entertaining manner :-(

While thinking about effective communication,ironically, I recieved a forward (in case you havent noticed yet, forwarding mails {and reading forwarded mails} is the source of 90% of entertainment for software engineers nowadays ;-) ) from a friend of mine, which focuses on the same topic...

What is Effective Communication ?

Jack and Max are walking from religious service. Jack wonders whether it would be all right to smoke while praying. Max replies, "Why don't you ask the Priest?" So Jack goes up to the Priest and asks, "Priest, may I smoke while I pray?" But the Priest says, "No, my son, you may not. That's utter disrespect to our religion." Jack goes back to his friend and tells him what the good Priest told him. Max says, "I'm not surprised. You asked the wrong question. Let me try." And so Max goes up to the Priest and asks, "Priest, may I pray while I smoke?" To which the Priest eagerly replies, "By all means, my son. By all means."

Moral : The reply you get depends on the question you ask.


For Example : Can I work on this project while I'm on vacation ?


I hope the message was communicated effectively.. ;-))


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you are alway on vacation..right...so you don't need to ask anything :)

-Vineeth

9/29/2004 11:13:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great second post! :-) I always have believed that almost anybody can write the frist book, cut the first album, paint the first picture etc, but its the second book/album/painting that brings out the real talents in a person. And I think you have done exceptionally well! :)
BTW, your communication isnt half as bad as what you make it out to be.

Cheerio,
Binil
PS: Can I work while I blog? ;)

9/29/2004 11:21:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home