Friday, October 15, 2004

Shield Me From Installation...

For the last 2-3 days I have been struggling with InstallShield. My task is to upgrade an installtion script written in an old version of InstallShield (probably version 5.5 or before). I thought that the upgradation would a piece of cake, but to my surprise the old script didint even compile in the new version of InstallShield (InstallShield X). I could see trouble round the corner ;-)
InstallShield is a great product with a mind-boggling feature-set but still amazingly easy to use. With every new release they out-perform themselves in ease of use as well as better features. But here I am - a victim of their innovations - with an old script that wouldnt even compile in the latest version. But behold, the help that comes with InstallShield is one of the best examples of documentation that I have ever seen for a product. They have a pretty good section on upgradation of old scripts. After browsing this section for about 5 minutes I got the errors fixed and the script compiled. I cant help but praise InstallShield for such a great product and such a great documentation.
By the way, JetBrains have released Omea Reader that
reads RSS and Atom feeds, newsgroups and bookmark files in one, simple to use interface. Hurry and get a permanent license key for Omea Reader for free !!!

3 Comments:

Blogger Vineeth said...

Software/Products that speaks for themselves...I think thats where things should go. In this case software or the computer should do the work. Probably if they can provide a tool that does the migration for you it would be even better. A user should be shielded away from details like this because installshield knows their old version format and the new version format so why let a user also know the details. Why can't they just convert for the user?.

Having said that I have seen worse things than this in products :-)..

How do I term this....User Centric Products...I don't know

10/15/2004 01:50:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

> get a permanent license key for Omea Reader for free !!!
"g" is one link, and the rest is another link .. both pointing to the same URI. I use FireFox on Win2K.

Cheerio,
Binil

10/15/2004 07:27:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

kid,u're doing good work,keep it up,u have it in u to be an outstanding blogger,don't stop.
u'd rather be installed with a shield than post such silly comments

10/25/2004 11:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home