Friday, May 20, 2005

Let there be autocompletion...

Auto completion for command prompt is a good feature to have. I found about it today, although I have seen it on Binil's machine quite some time ago. He told me it was done using editing the Windows registry and he didnt remember the exact steps. Windows registry not being the thing to play with, I left it at that. Today I was looking at the Global Assembly Cache using command prompt (Explorer doesnt give you the real view), I felt it would be nice to have this feature. I googled to find the answer nicely written down in simple steps. For the benefit of the fortunate few who reads my blog, I list the steps here ;-)

  • Log on as Administrator
  • Click Start, and then click Run
  • Type Regedit and OK
  • Double click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
  • Double click SOFTWARE
  • Double click Microsoft
  • Double click Command Processor
  • In the right pane of Regedit, double click the 'CompletionChar' DWORD value
  • Type 9
  • Click OK
  • Close Regedit

There you are, all set to go...

Trick courtesy ActiveWin

3 Comments:

Anonymous Binil Thomas said...

Since then, I started moving around onto different machines. Often I come across "server" machines to which I have to terminal service into and do something. I have enabled this so often that now I know how to do this without checking the net ~:)

This atleast makes CMD *look* as comfy as bash ;)

Beats me why this isn't the default.

5/20/2005 10:50:00 PM  
Anonymous Vikas Sasidharan said...

I guess you are talking about directory and file name completion option here ....Guess what ? It's in-built into the command prompt executable itself !!!...Infact, just give a "cmd /?" command from within a command prompt and you will get detailed explanations about enabling this feature (amongst others)...And oh, btw, in case you are not too registry-savvy, you can achieve the same by typing "cmd /F:ON" from Windows Run menu...This will give you a command prompt with autocompletion turned on...

6/14/2005 04:59:00 PM  
Blogger PC said...

Ofcourse it has to be built into the cmd.exe to make the registry setting work too ! Its just a preference that is read from the registry on program start up. And the option that u stated (cmd /F:ON) works only for a particular invocation of the application. You will have to do it each time to activate it while the registry setting is permanent.

6/14/2005 05:14:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home