Monday, October 10, 2005

The Tipping Point

I wrote this some months ago, but forgot to publish it at that time.

It has been quite some time since a read a book from start to finish. In fact it has been years. Last week, Abhishek and Prasanth had come to Bangalore and I went to The Forum with them. In LandMark I saw a low priced edition of
The Tipping Point. I have been seeing Blink: The Power of Thinking without Thinking on the top sellers list for quite some time and I knew that The Tipping Point was written by the same author (Malcolm Gladwell). So I thought I would give the book a try. I was planning to go home on 31st, so anyway I would be getting some time to read.

I started reading the book on that evening itself. After reading through the first few pages, i was not quite impressed. But soon the book started picking momentum. The book has something special about it, there is no cute jugglery with words, it is written in a very straightforward manner without the slightest attempt to make himself sound smart.

The core of the book is an explanation of how epidemics get started. An epidemic is not be taken only in the medical sense, it also refers to how all of a sudden certain behavioural patterns emerge which produce a sweeping change. The previous sentence actually doesnt do justice to the contents. It is almost like a thriller story, the author first mentions about an epidemic and analyzes the causes that we associate with the epidemic. Then the twist comes - slowly we are put into an entirely different perspective which sometimes leaves us spell-bound, the facts sometimes so strange that we cant even believe it.

This book presents a very interesting read. As I mentioned earlier, I read this book from cover-to-cover in 2-3 days, something which I havent done in years. I would give it 4.5 stars out of 5.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

my sister give me the same book, it is nice to came across someone with the same reading materials...

that adds my interest to finish reading the book....

3/01/2006 11:27:00 AM  
Blogger PC said...

You probably would like to look into "Blink !" by the same author.

3/01/2006 11:28:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home